If you attended the “Farm Aid 2” show outside of Buffalo, New York, the probability is very high that you are currently older than the musicians were on July 4, 1986:
Jerry Garcia, who died in 1995, was almost forty-four.
On this note, I think it’d be appropriate if we mentioned some other musicians who have passed since that day…
Grateful Dead keyboardist Brent Mydland:
Heartbreakers bassist Howie Epstein:
Rest in Peace, and thanks for the memories…
And also: as a reference point in time, here are some highlights from 1956, which was thirty years prior to the Farm Aid II date:
- Elvis Presley hit the scene.
- Boxer Rocky Marciano retires.
- Pakistan becomes the first Islamic state.
- Television broadcasting commences in Australia.
- DeMille’s The Ten Commandments starring Charlton Heston gets released.
- Soviet Red Army troops invade Hungary.
- Bob Barker makes his TV debut as host of Truth or Consequences.
- The underwater, trans-Atlantic telephone cable is opened.